Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a creamy cheez, delicious on crackers, sandwiches, great as a snack or dessert served with fresh crisp fruit, such as Asian pears. Try it as a pizza topping! Adapted from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak.
- 1 -2 tablespoon wheat germ or 1⁄3 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 3 tablespoons agar-agar flakes or 1 tablespoon agar, powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped raw cashews
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled firm silken tofu
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground dill seeds or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- Lightly oil a 2 1/2 cup round, shallow mold, pie plate, or single layer round cake pan and dust it with the wheat germ or sprinkle the bottom with the toasted sliced almonds, spreading them as evenly as possible. Set aside.
- Combine the water and agar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until dissolved, about 5-10 minutes.
- Move to a food processor or blender and add the remaining ingredients. Process several minutes until completely smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Pour into the oiled container. Cool uncovered in the refrigerator. When completely cool, cover and chill a few hours or overnight.
- To serve, turn out by inverting the mold onto a large round plate(the wheat germ or almond coated side will now be on top) and slice into wedges.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge. This will keep 5-7 days. Enjoy!