Recipe by English_Rose
Made for sharing, this creamy cheese and mushroom fondue is the perfect excuse to call friends for a special supper.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 14 ounces ripe brie cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- French bread, cut into bite-size pieces or focaccia bread
- 3 1⁄2 ounces red potatoes, quartered and steamed in their skins
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the water in small saucepan, add the porcini mushrooms, set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and shiitake mushrooms and sauté until tender.
- Add the porcini and soaking liquid, leaving any sediment from liquid behind and increase heat to a high temperature until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the wine to mushrooms and simmer over medium heat. Add cheese to mushrooms in 3 batches, whisking after each addition until cheese melts before adding more. Continue whisking until mixture is smooth and just begins to simmer (do not boil).
- Mix the arrowroot with a little water and add to the mixture to thicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer fondue to fondue pot or an equivalent and set the pot over a candle or heat burner.
- Serve with the potatoes and bread.