Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Great for Sunday Brunch! This savory egg bake is assembled the night before for an easy and oh so good breakfast the next morning. This recipe comes from Showcase Minnesota, a local program.
- 8 ounces brie cheese, rind removed, cubed
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 slices firm textured white bread, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring until it crumbles, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and cook 5 minutes more or until sausages is no longer pink and onions are soft; drain well. Set aside.
- Place bread cubes evenly in bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Layer sausage, red pepper, basil, brie and Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the cheese.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is set.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and cut into squares.
I have made this egg bake several times...for family gatherings, for cookie exchanges, for weekends away at the cabin with friends. It is always a favorite!