Recipe by Sweet Baboo
I found this recipe in the Toronto Star, December 26, 2007, rated one of the best recipes of the year. It is a lovely brunch pizza..."do not use a non-stick skillet for the onions, and don't skimp on the pear; it adds the right touch of sweetness". Preparation time will be longer if using home-made pizza dough.
Top Review by anme
What an interesting take on pizza. I left out the curry powder on the onions since I am not a fan of curry powder, but other than that kinda major change I made as stated. My family enjoyed the contrasts of tastes, but I dont know if I'll be trying fruit on my pizza again anytime soon. But it was a great change from you average pizza dinner! Also the directions for making the carmelized onions were very detailed and easy to follow if you have never made carmelized onions before.
CURRIED CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pizza dough
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb brie cheese, sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large bosc pears (about 3/4 lb) or 1 large abate pear, cored, sliced lengthwise 1/8-inch thick (about 3/4 lb)
- chives, chopped, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat pizza stone in 400F oven at least 30 minutes.
- For onions, melt butter with oil in large skillet on medium heat. Stir in onions, salt and pepper. Cook stirring often, 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, until golden brown and very tender. Stir in vinegar. Turn heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder. Cool to room temperature. Makes 1 1/4 cups.
- For pizza, cut dough into 3 pieces. On floured surface, press 1 piece of dough into 8 inch round. Transfer to pizza peel covered in parchment. Spread with about 1/3 caramelized onions. Brush exposed edges with oil. Put 1/3 of pear slices over onions, arranging like spokes on wheel. Arrange 1/3 of brie slices in between pear spokes.
- Slide pizza on parchment onto pizza stone. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until bottom is crisp, brie is golden and pears are tender. Garnish with chives. Repeat with remaining dough, onions, pear, brie and chives. (You will have some onions left over).