Recipe by Kitchen Witch Steph
We try to always have a lighter casserole at our mothers group breakfast meetings. I mean, who doesn't need to watch the calories after having a baby? This recipe doesn't cut out the flavor though. Plus, the list of ingredients make me think I am having breakfast at some trendy cafe. My friend got this out of Cooking light. Overnight instructions included so all you have to do is pop it in the oven in the morning when you need it.
Top Review by Schmoopies
This was good for a low-fat recipe, but I think next time I'll add a meat (like cooked bacon) for a little extra flavor. I also used whole-wheat ciabatta which probably wasn't a great idea.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups unpeeled yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3⁄4 lb ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes and toasted
- cooking spray
- 4 ounces brie cheese, rind removed and chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, potato, and bell pepper; saute 4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes; saute 2 minutes, stir in 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Combine onion mixture and bread.
- Place half of bread mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of Brie.
- Top with remaining bread mixture and remaining Brie.
- Put egg substitue and eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoons salt, herbes de Provence, and pepper.
- Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately.
- OVERNIGHT INSTRUCTIONS.
- **The night before, assemble and layer the casserole without the egg mixture (steps one and two); cover and refrigerate.
- Combine the egg mixture (step three), and refrigerate in a separate container.
- In the morning, pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture; allow the strata to stand for 30 minutes before baking.