Recipe by Julesong
Rich, creamy, and cheesy, this crab dish is a nice addition to a weekend lunch or dinner! Easy to prepare, you can make it the night before and just pop it into the oven for your meal.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup additional unsalted butter
- 4 cups cubes day-old French bread (about 8 slices)
- 1⁄4 lb Fontina cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup packed chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 lb cooked fresh crabmeat, well picked,flaked
- 6 ounces brie cheese, chilled very cold
- 1⁄4 lb cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Using 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter, grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the dish, then grated Fontina, then chopped basil, then crab meat; top with remaining bread cubes.
- Take the chilled Brie from the refrigerator and trim the rind (note: the colder the Brie remains, the easier it will be to cut, so don't take it out of the refrigerator too soon before this step).
- Cut the cheese into small cubes, then dot the top of the strata with the cubes of Brie.
- Using a food processor or an electric mixer, beat together the softened cream cheese and the eggs until light and fluffy.
- Melt the 1/2 cup of butter, then into the cream cheese mixture beat the milk, white pepper, mace, cayenne pepper, minced garlic, and melted butter.
- Pour mixture over the strata; using the back of a spoon, press the bread cubes down into the mixture so that all are moistened well.
- Refrigerate over night or at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then bake the strata for 1 hour or until puffy and golden brown.
- Let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving either hot or warm.