Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very light, sweet and delicious with fresh fruit. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 4 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat egg whites with salt to stiff peaks.
- Sift flour 4 times with the baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Cream butter until soft; add sugar gradually until fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Add batter to beaten egg whites gradually; fold flour in lightly.
- Pour into two angel food cake pans and bake for one hour.