Prep 1 hr
Cook 7 mins
Pizza dough for the grill.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (100 to 110 )
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine yeast and 2 cups warm water in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine yeast mixture, 3 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, next 3 ingredients and, if desired, cheese in a large mixing bowl; add 1/2 cup olive oil. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer until blended, stopping to scrape down sides as necessary. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cups) to make a stiff dough. (Dough will be smooth.).
- Place dough and 1 tablespoon oil in a large lightly greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 45 minutes or until dough is doubled in bulk. Punch dough down.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 4 or 5 times. Divide dough in half, and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place one 14-inch circle onto a lightly floured pizza peel; brush with 1 tablespoon oil, and prick with a fork. Add toppings to pizza dough.
- Place pizza gently on floor of brick oven. Repeat procedure with remaining dough circle, and place on floor of brick oven.
- Bake each pizza at 500° for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
- Note: To bake in a conventional oven, place dough on a lightly floured pizza stone or baking sheet, and bake at 475° for 10 to 12 minutes.
- To freeze: Divide risen dough in half before kneading, and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in zip-top freezer bags; freeze up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator.