Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Handed down to me by my mother, this cake is a personal favorite to bake on special occasions because the boyfriend loves it so. I freeze the cake before splitting because it makes it easier on me; this is not included in prep time.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- red food coloring
- 2 (10 ounce) cans buttercream frosting
- Preheat 350.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add vanilla, eggs, cream well.
- Sift and measure cake flour with cocoa, sift 3 times. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Beat in desired amount of food coloring.
- Fold in soda and vinegar.
- Bake in two greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Freeze for two hours.
- Take out frozen pans and cut each round in half, resulting in 4 cake layers.
- Brush off crumbs from cakes with brush, frost and assemble.