Handed down to me by my mother, this cake is a personal favorite to bake on special occasions because the boyfriend loves it so. I freeze the cake before splitting because it makes it easier on me; this is not included in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat 350.
- 2Cream shortening and sugar.
- 3Add vanilla, eggs, cream well.
- 4Sift and measure cake flour with cocoa, sift 3 times. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- 5Beat in desired amount of food coloring.
- 6Fold in soda and vinegar.
- 7Bake in two greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- 8Bake 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- 9Let cool on wire rack.
- 10Freeze for two hours.
- 11Take out frozen pans and cut each round in half, resulting in 4 cake layers.
- 12Brush off crumbs from cakes with brush, frost and assemble.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bria's Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.3
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 40.8 mg
- Sodium 138.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: