Recipe by KandB
Spicy tofu stir fry dish. You can replace the tofu with chicken for a standard Kung Pao chicken dish. Great leftovers dish too.
Top Review by claud1a
This is so delicious! I have made it three times, which minor variations each time depending on what I did/didn't have in the cupboard e.g. substituting apple cider vinegar for rice vinegar, using 1 cup total of regular soy sauce instead of 1.5 cups combined of the 3 different types listed in the recipe. You can use different veggies as well, depending on what you have, and I'm not so keen on cooked celery so I tend to leave that out. Each time it has worked out great, whichever minor changes I have made. I also add a bit of cornstarch at the end to thicken up the sauce. Using quantities given, I end up with enough sauce for 2 batches of stir fry and that's fine by me as it is delicious and was an instant favourite from the first bite.
Kung Pao Sauce
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce, regular
- 1 tablespoon hot chili paste (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup premium grade sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes, dried
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cups lightly fried tofu, cubed
- 1 cup carrot, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely julienned
- 1 cup green zucchini, diced
- 1 cup yellow squash, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 ounces water chestnuts, diced
- 6 whole dried Thai chiles
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, chopped
- 6 cups steamed rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together ingredients for sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- In wok, add oil and lightly fry cubed tofu for about 3 minutes, continually tossing. Set aside.
- Add carrots to wok and cook on med. high heat for 3 minutes. Add onion, scallions, garlic and ginger. Cook for about 2 minutes and then add remaining vegetables, water chestnuts, chilis. Continue cooking for additional 2 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add tofu back into stir fry.
- Pour sauce over to coat stir fry, may not need all sauce.
- Cook until sauce is reduced to desired consistency.
- Spoon stir fry over 1 cup of steamed rice and garnish with chopped cashews.