Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple, quick and delicately spicy Prawn Curry, it is my husbands favourite. I recently served it with #195501 Rice Chile Verde by Engrossed, and that is the way Brian now wants this meal! Edited to add : thank you to Jan for pointing out that the cooking instructions for the prawns were WAY out! I've corrected this, sorry about that! :D
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch)
- 6 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes, crushed
- 450 g prawns, peeled
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
- Fry onion in oil or ghee until just tender. (3 to 4 minutes).
- Add cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves and bay leaf.
- Fry for one minute and then add ginger and garlic pastes.
- Add chilli, cumin, coriander and salt. Fry for half a minute.
- Add chopped green pepper and tomatoes, then bring to boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add prawns and let them 'poach' in the sauce for three minutes or so, or until done.
- Add chopped green coriander leaves and chopped chillies.
- Serve with rice.
We are big curry eaters and very critical of them when we make them. This was good, but didn't make either of us go WOW! I could never cook a prawn for 10-15 minutes, so made the sauce, simmered it for 15 minutes, then added in the prawns and green pepper (mine was actually red) for 3 minutes. Both were cooked perfectly for our tastes. After I tasted the finished sauce, I thought it was "too tomatoey" and added 3/4 cup of light cocnut cream which cut it and pleased us.
Perfect blend of spices for us! Cleared out my sinuses but didn't burn the GI tract. Recipe could be improved by specifying which items should be removed prior to serving. I vote for the bay leaf, the cinnamon stick and the cloves. Apparently I ate the green cardamoms with no issues. Made half a recipe for me. My small sauté pan was too small to finish this dish, causing extra time to "poach" the shrimp. Brava! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.
A really delightful curry! I did not cook it for too long, just long enough for the prawns to be cooked through, thanks so much for posting, this will definately be on my list to use again