Recipe by Chief Teer
This Brian's famous firehouse gumbo. He would usually prepare this Sunday and it would be all gone by Tuesday! It is a great recipe! Note: Never serve gumbo of any type, without potatoe salad on the side. This is a old Cajun tradition!
- 1 pint dark roux
- 2 gallons water
- 2 fryer chickens, skinned and seasoned
- 2 lbs smoked sausage
- 0.5 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) bottle louisiana hot sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) bottle Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In gumbo pot, boil water.
- Add roux, lower heat to prevent boil over, constantly stir.
- Add onions, bell pepper, celery, and parsley.
- Cut sausage into bite size pieces and microwave 7 minutes on plate with paper towel to line bottom. Add to gumbo pot.
- Add in tomato sauce, hot sauce, worcestershire sauce.
- On medium heat cook for 2 hours.
- Add fryers, and cook for 1 more hour.
- After 3 hours add chopped green onions and parsley.
- Serve in bowl over cooked medium grain rice.
- Note: Never serve gumbo without potato salad on side.