Recipe by Recipewrestler
Brewton is the home of Alabama's annual Blueberry Festival. The Kiwanis Club serves a great deep-dish cobbler with loads of fresh berries. Here's their basic recipe for a lip-smacking delight.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a pastry blender, mix first three ingredients (of crust) together until shortening is the size of peas.
- Quickly mix in other ingredients.
- Work quickly and do not overmix.
- Roll out pie crust and place in a metal sheet cake pan.
- (Glass pans will stick.) Crust will extend on all sides.
- Dredge fresh, washed blueberries in sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch and place in pan.
- (Blueberries should come to top of pan.).
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Fold crust over top of cobbler.
- Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.