Prep 2 hrs 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very tasty, easy to make rye bread. Definitely worth a try if you are looking for a rye bread that is a bit "untraditional" in flavor. Prep time includes rising times.
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups rye flour
- 2 cups warm milk (105°-115°F)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar or 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm ale (105°-115°F)
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed (I guess you could use traditional caraway seeds if you prefer)
- Combine flours and set aside.
- Combine warm milk, sugar OR molasses and butter.
- Measure warm ale into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved.
- Stir in milk mixture, fennel seed and 4 cups of flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Let batter rise in warm, draft free place, until doubled in bulk (about 30 minutes).
- Stir batter down; stir in enough additional flour mixture to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out into a lightly floured board, knead until smooth and elastic (about 12 minutes).
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover, let rise in warm draft free place until doubled in bulk (about 45 minutes).
- Punch dough down, divide it in half and shape.
- ***To Shape Loaves***.
- Gently roll each half into a 14x9 inch rectangle.
- Starting with the 9 inch side, gently roll the dough (like for a jelly roll), pinch seams closed.
- Place each rolled loaf into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- ***ToMake Rounds***.
- Form each dough half into a smooth round ball.
- Flatten each ball into a round, about 7 inches in diameter.
- Place each round on a greased baking sheet.
- After dough has been shaped (into loaves or rounds),cover it and let it rise in warm draft free place until doubled in bulk (about 50 minutes).
- Bake at 375°F for about 45 minutes for loaves, 35 minutes for rounds.
- Remove bread from baking pans or baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
I really enjoyed this ryebread. The fennel reminded me of licorice. Easy to make and it makes a very nice loaf.