Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "Born to Grill: An American Celebration" by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.
Make and share this Brewed Brat Sandwiches With Caraway Kraut recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (12 ounce) bottlesbottles beer
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 12 uncooked bratwursts (about 5 oz ea)
FOR CARAWAY KRAUT
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- 2 cups drained sauerkraut
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 kaiser rolls (16 large slices) or 8 rye bread (16 large slices)
- brown mustard, as needed
- 8 thin slices cheese (Swiss, provolone, Gouda or Gruyere)
- 1 cup chopped dill pickle
- To prepare marinade:
- Combine beer, onion, mustard, caraway seeds and coriander in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add bratwursts; simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Leave brats in marinade.
- Heat grill to high.
- To prepare kraut:
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in onion and caraway seeds; cook until onion turns translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in mustard, sauerkraut and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low; cover, keep warm.
- To prepare sandwiches:
- Drain brats; discard marinade.
- Halve brats lengthwise; cut halves in half crosswise.
- Grill brat pieces uncovered until browned but still juicy, about 2 minutes per side.
- Toast rolls, cut-side down, on edge of grill, about 30 seconds.
- To assemble each sandwich, coat both sides of toasted roll with mustard.
- On bottom roll, add slice of cheese, 6 brat pieces and large dollop kraut; sprinkle dill pickle on top.
- Close with top roll; push roll down to mingle juices and ingredients.
This was VERY good!!! I've made brats like this for years. I liked the "sandwich" idea over buns, so I used caraway rye bread. Also used Muenster cheese. I'm not a big mustard fan, but my wife likes Gulden's, so that's what we used. THANKS for sharing!!!
These sandwiches were very easy and "brewing" the bratwurst added an extra little kick. We used the Rye bread option. This sandwich is very large and filling. We liked the Sauerkraut with the mustard too. I served this alongside steamed green beans for a fast and delicious dinner. Thanks for a great recipe lazyme! Made for Went To The Market tag game - Spring 2013.