Recipe by lazyme
From "Born to Grill: An American Celebration" by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.
Top Review by Ackman
This was VERY good!!! I've made brats like this for years. I liked the "sandwich" idea over buns, so I used caraway rye bread. Also used Muenster cheese. I'm not a big mustard fan, but my wife likes Gulden's, so that's what we used. THANKS for sharing!!!
- 2 (12 ounce) bottlesbottles beer
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 12 uncooked bratwursts (about 5 oz ea)
FOR CARAWAY KRAUT
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- 2 cups drained sauerkraut
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 kaiser rolls (16 large slices) or 8 rye bread (16 large slices)
- brown mustard, as needed
- 8 thin slices cheese (Swiss, provolone, Gouda or Gruyere)
- 1 cup chopped dill pickle
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare marinade:
- Combine beer, onion, mustard, caraway seeds and coriander in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add bratwursts; simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Leave brats in marinade.
- Heat grill to high.
- To prepare kraut:
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in onion and caraway seeds; cook until onion turns translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in mustard, sauerkraut and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low; cover, keep warm.
- To prepare sandwiches:
- Drain brats; discard marinade.
- Halve brats lengthwise; cut halves in half crosswise.
- Grill brat pieces uncovered until browned but still juicy, about 2 minutes per side.
- Toast rolls, cut-side down, on edge of grill, about 30 seconds.
- To assemble each sandwich, coat both sides of toasted roll with mustard.
- On bottom roll, add slice of cheese, 6 brat pieces and large dollop kraut; sprinkle dill pickle on top.
- Close with top roll; push roll down to mingle juices and ingredients.