1/17 Photos of Bretzel Rolls (Bavarian Pretzel Sandwich Rolls)
1 hr 54 mins
1 hr 19 mins
These fabulous rolls are wonderful stuffed with your favorite sandwich ingredients. This is one of those recipes that is not hard to make...but makes you feel a great sense of accomplishment when looking at the finished product. You can either make them into a tight knot, pretzel shape or simple bun shape. The recipe is a combined effort from Thorsten, his German baker friend, and myself. The dough also makes great pretzels. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Scoring the top with an X has some cool results as well! BEER PAIRING: Live Oak Pilz, a Bohemian-style pilsner, is perfect with these rolls!
My Private Note
dozen b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- kosher salt or pretzel salt
- 1In a small bowl if using a bread machine, or in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix a 1/3 cup of the warm water (105-115 degrees) with the yeast and let stand until foamy.
- 2Add the remaining cup of warm water along with milk, sugar & melted butter and swirl to dissolve the sugar. (If using a bread machine add mixture to bread machine at this point and continue).
- 3Add flour and mix on dough cycle or med-low speed.
- 4Remove dough from bread machine once it forms a nice a firm, pliable dough ball.
- 5Add more flour if necessary.
- 6Turn dough out onto a lightly floured table and knead for 2 minutes.
- 7Roll into a 2 foot long log and cut into 12 even pieces.
- 8Cover dough with plastic and a damp cloth and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 9Pat dough into rolls or form knots and arrange on a lightly floured surface about an inch apart and cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap.
- 10Let the pretzels rest for an additional 30 minutes.
- 11Preheat the oven to 425°.
- 12Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
- 13In a large stockpot, bring the cold water to a rolling boil and add baking soda.
- 14Drop two rolls into the boiling water and boil for no more then 30 seconds, turning once.
- 15Carefully remove with tongs or slotted spoon and hold above pot and let drain.
- 16Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 17Repeat with the remaining rolls.
- 18Arrange rolls on the oiled baking sheets and bake on the upper and middle racks of the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until browned all over; shift pans from top to bottom and back to front halfway through, for even baking.
- 19Let rolls cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
- 20Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bretzel Rolls (Bavarian Pretzel Sandwich Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.1
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.4 mg
- Sodium 26.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g