Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a hearty soup with leek, potato and fish chunks. Add some dry white wine at the end for extra flavor.
- 2 lbs halibut or 2 lbs mackerel or 2 lbs turbot
- 4 leeks
- 1 lb new potato
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 celery heart
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 sprig thyme
- bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 quart water
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Wash the leeks thoroughly, and cut the whites only into 1" rounds.
- Peel the potatoes, and cut them into chunks to fit a soup spoon.
- Skin the tomatoes, and deseed them.
- Dice the celery heart into small pieces.
- Put the above ingredients into a soup pan with 1 quart of water. Add the salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 25 minutes.
- Discard the thyme and the bay leaf.
- Clean the fish, skin it and fillet it carefully. Cut into chunks.
- Add the fish to the vegetables and broth, and simmer this over very low heat for 15 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk with the cream in a bowl.
- Add some of the broth to this, mix it around, and put the whole lot into the soup pan.
- Keep over very low heat, and stir until the broth thickens somewhat.
- Don't boil it!
Reviewd for ZWT3. This soup was definitely hearty though lacked a little flavour. I will be making this again and maybe adding a few extra ingredients to give it nore 'umf' - however having said that, the family polished it off in one go - need I say more!