Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is another recipe from Eating for IBS by Heather Van Vorous. It's posted in response to a request for low-fat carrot cakes. I haven't tried it myself, but have heard rave reviews about it from others. The sweet orange icing looks like a great touch, although I'm sure it would be great without it or with your own choice of icings, too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup egg whites or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups carrots, packed finely shredded or grated
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed pineapple, with liquid
Sweet Orange Icing
- 3⁄4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 10-inch non-stick bundt pan with cooking oil and set aside.
- Sift the first 7 ingredients (flour to granulated sugar) into a large bowl and stir well to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, beat next 7 ingredients (brown sugar to pineapple) with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry with just a few swift strokes by hand; do not over-beat or the cake will be tough.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until toothpick or cake tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack (in pan) for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool to room temperature.
- Top with Sweet Orange Icing (or another icing of your choice).
- To make Sweet Orange Icing: Combine all icing ingredients and blend with a fork until smooth.
- Use immediately to top cake (if icing sits it will harden).
My goodness it is very good! Moist and sweet enough on it's own that is doesn't need any icing. I substituted unsweetened apple sauce for the pineapple, added walnuts for crunch and baked it in an 8X8 pan. With so many changes I won't give it 5 stars.
Oh my gosh !!!! Another one of Heather's recipes I been meaning to try. This is a wonderful cake. Mine turned out REAL moist. I used 2 cups carrots and I didnt have orange zest so I had to omit that. I had mine with no icing at all next time I will make the sweet orange icing. Dh had cream cheese icing on his and he loved it. Thanks Kree/Heather :)
Lovely cake and lovely icing. I used whole wheat pastry flour but it did not seem to affect anything at all as the cake was nice and moist. I was on the phone while making it and I realized that I had made a mistake and put the brown sugar in with the dry ingredients. So I just whipped up the rest of the ingredients and added them. I did not feel like this tasted as "carrot-y" as some other carrot cakes. But it had a lovely spice cake flavor. The kids loved it, so it is another way to get veggies into your kids! I did not find it as sweet as I expected. The icing added a fabulous sweetness to the cake. Great recipe Kree.