1/2 Photos of Brer Rabbit Carrot Cake
1 hr 5 mins
This is another recipe from Eating for IBS by Heather Van Vorous. It's posted in response to a request for low-fat carrot cakes. I haven't tried it myself, but have heard rave reviews about it from others. The sweet orange icing looks like a great touch, although I'm sure it would be great without it or with your own choice of icings, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup egg whites or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2-2 cups carrots, packed finely shredded or grated
- 3/4 cup canned crushed pineapple, with liquid
Sweet Orange Icing
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2Spray a 10-inch non-stick bundt pan with cooking oil and set aside.
- 3Sift the first 7 ingredients (flour to granulated sugar) into a large bowl and stir well to combine.
- 4In a separate large bowl, beat next 7 ingredients (brown sugar to pineapple) with an electric mixer until well combined.
- 5Add the wet ingredients to the dry with just a few swift strokes by hand; do not over-beat or the cake will be tough.
- 6Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until toothpick or cake tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- 7Cool on rack (in pan) for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool to room temperature.
- 8Top with Sweet Orange Icing (or another icing of your choice).
- 9To make Sweet Orange Icing: Combine all icing ingredients and blend with a fork until smooth.
- 10Use immediately to top cake (if icing sits it will harden).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brer Rabbit Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3077.3
- Calories from Fat 1011
- Total Fat 112.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1950.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 485.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 318.1 g
- Protein 42.5 g