Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
A hearty breakfast from the flavor center of the United States, New Orleans.
For the Hollandaise sauce
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 4 trout fillets (or any other white-fleshed fish)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil, for sauteeing
- 16 eggs, poached
- For the Hollandaise sauce: Place egg yolks, lemon juice and pepper in blender container and blend until lemon color.
- Turn blender to high and very slowly add butter, blend until thick, about 30 seconds.
- To serve, heat sauce slowly in top of double boiler over hot water.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper together.
- For the fish: soak the fillets in milk for five minutes.
- While the fish is soaking, heat the skillet to 375F and add a little oil.
- Remove fish from milk; roll in the flour mixture.
- Sautee the fish until golden brown and crispy, about five minutes.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, place a piece of cooked fish on each plate (it's very nice if they have been warmed in the oven) and top with two cooked eggs.
- Cover evenly with warm Hollandaise sauce and serve.