Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bearnaise Sauce Recipe from Brennan's in New Orleans.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs clarified butter
- 2 ounces shallots, minced
- 4 ounces tarragon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- cayenne pepper
- fresh lemon juice
- Mix together shallots, vinegar, first batch of fresh or dried tarragon and peppercorns in a non-aluminum pan. Reduce by 3/4. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Transfer reduction to a round bottomed stainless steel bowl. Add egg yolks and mix well.
- Place the bowl over a hot water bath (barely simmering) and continue to beat until the yolks are thick and creamy. Be careful not to scramble the egg yolks; pull the bowl away from the hot water bath if it starts to get too hot.
- Remove from heat. While whisking, gradually add the clarified butter to the egg yolks, drop by drop at first. If the sauce is too thick, thin with lemon juice or warm water.
- Strain the sauce through cheesecloth.
- Season to taste with salt, cayenne and a little lemon juice. Add the remaining tarragon.
- Hold warm for no longer than 1-1/2 hours. Makes 1 pint.