Recipe by momaphet
Created in 1951, Bananas Foster are now found all over the US but the original comes from Brennan's in New Orleans, LA. Over 35,000 lbs of banana's are used every year at Brennan's. I haven't made this recipe yet, so the time is approximate.
Top Review by Jostlori
What can I say? It's Bananas Foster...made the original Brennan's way! Absolutely delish... Oh, and I agree with Sue Lau - remove from heat, add rum, ignite. Thanks for posting a delicious and authentic recipe! Made by a Gourmet Goddess, ZWT9.
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup banana liqueur
- 4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then halved
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the butter, sugar and cinnamon in a flambé pan or skillet.
- Place the pan over low heat either on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum.
- Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum, or ignite with a long match.
- When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream.
- Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately.