Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a simple and classic Aussie dessert. The recipe was given to me by a friend many years ago. It's crispy on the outside, but soft and gooey on the inside. The classic pavlova uses kiwi fruit and is topped with sweetened passionfruit pulp.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- fresh whipped cream
- fruit, of your choice (kiwi, berries, pineapple, etc)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff. Gradually add water beating between teaspoons.
- Add sugar VERYgradually. Take your time and don't hurry this step. Then beat in the salt, vanilla, vinegar and cornstarch.
- Shape meringue into a large 10 inch circle on parchment paper thats been placed on a cookie sheet.
- Build up the sides by laying coils of meringue one on top of the other to approximately a 1 inch depth. Or, you could spread the meringue with a spoon, using it to build up the sides.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven and leave tart inside for another hour.
- Gently peel off the parchment paper.
- Fill with whipped cream and top with fruit.