Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Essentially, this is Wine-Braised Beef by Chef #226863 that I adapted for the slow cooker. It lends itself to that method of preparation beautifully, and the result is a flavorful, tender beef dish that is very delicious. As in the original recipe, I did not include the marinating time in the prep time, so prepare accordingly.
For Bouquet Garni
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 cups Burgundy wine (I used Bordeaux)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs beef chuck stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup ripe black olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- For marinade, in a mixing bowl, combine the wine, carrots, onions, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Make the bouquet garni using cheesecloth (several thicknesses). Place garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, juniper berries, thyme, marjoram, and fennel seed in the center of the square of cheesecloth. Bring the edges together and tie with kitchen string.
- Place the beef in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the meat, add the bouquet garni, and seal the bag. Marinate the meat in the refrigerator for 10 hours or overnight, turning the bag occasionally.
- Drain the beef, reserving the marinade, vegetables, and bouquet garni. Pat the beef dry with paper towels.
- In a heavy Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crisp and remove; drain and crumble. Brown the beef in the bacon drippings, adding the onions and carrots to slightly brown. Remove beef and vegetables and place in slow cooker. Next, add the bouquet garni, drained tomatoes, 1/2 of the reserved marinade, and beef broth. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- When beef is finished cooking and is tender, stir in the black olives to warm them. Then remove beef and vegetables to a serving bowl and discard bouquet garni.
- Combine the flour, softened butter, salt and pepper into a smooth paste. Pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a large saucepan and heat to a simmer. Stir in the flour mixture, cooking and whisking until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- To serve, pour the wine gravy over the meat and vegetables.