Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The most fabulous soup! I had lost it and found it again through Recipe Request!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 1⁄3 cups dried lentils
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- chopped fresh tomato (optional)
- cilantro, sprig (optional)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute' 3 minutes or until tender. Add turmeric and next 6 ingredients; saute' 1 minute. Add water and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.
- Reserve 2 cups lentil mixture. Place half of remaining mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with other half of remaining mixture. Stir in reserved 2 cups lentil mixture. Garnish with chopped tomato and a cilantro sprig, if desired.
I really enjoyed this soup. My husband didn't like it so much, but I would eat this soup twice a day! Low in calories, super good for you, and not all that difficult to make!