Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great chicken dish to serve at a special luncheon, shower or a buffet dinner.
- 6 medium boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup ruby port
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into sixths
- Flatten each chicken breast.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy skillet over medium heat, add almonds and stir till golden -- about 4 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Lightly dredge chicken in flour.
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in heavy skillet over medium heat, add chicken saute and cook till just springy to touch - about 4 minutes, Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to plate and tent with foil.
- Add stock and port wine to same skillet and boil till reduced by half, scraping up any browned bits. Add cream and boil till reduced to sauce-like consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Can be prepared in advance to this point. Place chicken and sauce in rectangular casserole, stirring occasionally.
- (Casserole and sauce can be frozen at this point for future use.).
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Add apples and cook til just tender, stirring frequently - about 5 minutes.
- Arrange 1 breast of chicken and 3 apple slices on each plate. Taste sauce - adjust seasoning and pour over chicken. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Serve with rice.
- If prepared in advance heat oven 325 and heat, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add apples to plate or arrange on top of casserole if serving from table. If frozen, thaw in microwave (DO NOT COOK) when defrosted place in oven as above.