Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is from the Red Apple Inn, Heber Springs, Arkansas. Absolutely guest-worthy! Different from other one posted. Note: Cut calories and fats by using low-fat or no-fat ingredients. From a JL of Memphis cookbook-Party Potpourri.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices lean bacon
- 1 (4 ounce) package Hormel dried beef
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temp
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Pepper, but do not salt, chicken breasts.
- Wrap slice of bacon around each.
- Place layer of drid beef (not corned beef) in bottom of oil sprayed baking dish.
- Place wrapped chicken breasts on top.
- In a food processor, combine soups sour cream and cream cheese; pulse to blend well.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove foil and place under broiler to golden brown.
- Serve over rice with sauce.
I've made this for 30 years. You do not need a food processor. The sauce will combine in a sauce pan on the stove just fine. You can also throw in a bit of white wine. Cut the cooking time down to 45 minutes or this chicken is simply too dry. Great dish for company! Unless your family is picky, Minute Rice will work fine!
My family loves this recipe.I have made it for years. In my recipe one can of cream of mushroom soup is used instead of sour cream.You can also layer the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
I had this at a conference in Heber Springs, and lost the recipe. This is it, I'm so glad you shared it!