Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Creamy eggs, mushrooms and Black Forest ham wrapped in puff pastry. Play around with your own combos for the filling -- try different cheeses, vegetables and herbs. From the March, 2009 Ladies' Home Journal magazine. Note: Time does not include 15 minute chill time.
- Heat oven to 375° F with rack in lower third. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil; add mushrooms and saute until golden. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and thyme and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Roll pastry on a floured surface into an 11" x 11" square and place on prepared baking sheet. Place a layer of ham on one half of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border of pastry. Add mushrooms, egg mixture and another layer of ham.
- Lightly beat remaining egg and brush border of pastry. Fold dough over filling and press to seal edges. Chill 20 minutes or freeze for 10 minutes.
- Trim edges and brush entire pastry with beaten egg. Cut 3 vents in top of pastry. Bake, rotating once, until crust is golden brown and puffed, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer turnover on parchment to a wire rack and cool 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.