Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
- 2 pints mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk
- In a food processor, combine berries (reserving about 1/4 cup for garnish) with sugar; pulse to a puree.
- Transfer to a covered container and let sit 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, butter, shortening, and salt, and pulse several times until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour in milk and pulse just until dough is blended.
- Drop heaping mounds, about 2 tablespoons each, 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes until golden.
- Cut each biscuit horizontally into 3 slices.
- (Can be made 1 to 2 days in advance.) Line four to six 6-ounce teacups with plastic wrap;allow a 3- to 4-inch overhang on each side.
- Pour 1 tablespoon berry puree in the bottom of each teacup.
- Top with a layer of biscuit.
- Repeat layering 2 more times.
- Pour any additional puree over top, allowing it to seep into biscuit.
- Wrap trifle with plastic wrap, sealing tightly.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- To unmold, unwrap plastic wrap and turn teacup over onto a plate.
- Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup berries.