1/1 Photo of Breakfast Tex Mex Haystacks
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: I love haystacks and wanted to make a fun Tex-Mex version for my family. These turned out great! Adding Panko crumbs and cheese to the hash browns before cooking gave them a wonderful golden brown color and texture. Yum. The presentation was top notch but they disappeared to quickly for anyone to notice but me!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup mexican cheese, shredded blend
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 1Mix the hash browns, salt, 1 teaspoon cumin, chili powder,Panko and cheese in a bowl and stir with a spatula.
- 2Heat the oil in a large 10-12 inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Divide the potato mixture into 4 servings and drop into the hot oil. Cook 3 minutes on 1 side and turn each stack and continue to cook until golden on both sides. When done remove from oil and place on dish . Cover with foil.
- 3Heat the butter in a non-stick skillet over low heat. . Add the eggs one at a time and cook 2-3 minutes and flip. They should be over easy.
- 4While they are cooking mix the sour cream in a small bowl with the cilantro,reserved cumin, tomatoes, and the whites of the scallions.
- 5When the eggs are done prepare each stack. Plate 1 haystack on a small dish, top with an egg , 2 tablespoons salsa, a slice of bacon cut in half and crossed and a dollop of the sour cream garnished with the greens from the scallions. Yield: 4.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Tex Mex Haystacks
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.7
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 230.5 mg
- Sodium 945.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns