Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
Tasty breakfast version of the classic hot dish. Great for breakfast or dinner!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs frozen tater tots
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb spicy breakfast sausage
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄4 cup seasoned stuffing mix
- salt and pepper
- Prepare a glass baking dish (at least 8x10) by spreading butter along the bottom and sides.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, sour cream, chives, seasoned salt, hot sauce and salt and pepper and whisk until well blended.
- Add 2 cups cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella cheese and tots to mixture. Mix well until all tots are coated and all ingredients mixed.
- In small pan, cook sausage until just before done (sausage will finish in the oven), drain well and add to tot mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your pre-greased baking pan and top with the rest of the cheese and the bread crumbs. Spread topping evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Excellent casserole! Great blend of flavors. I omitted the salt also, since the season salt was added, and did not add the hot sauce because some people don't like it and it could be added at serving. I also used green onions instead of chives, and sage sausage instead of spicy, because that is what I had on hand. Would be super colorful with some diced red bell pepper. Definitely will be making this again!
I've never had tater-tot casserole before, but I did have some frozen tots to use up since my toddler quit eating them. We really enjoyed this recipe. I omitted the regular salt just because I didn't think it needed it with the seasoning salt & seasoned sausage already. I also had seasoned stuffing mix on hand so I used it but didn't really measure that, just sprinkled it on to cover the top. Thanks for sharing, Chef Matteo! Made & enjoyed for Photo Forum's November Casserole event.
This was GREAT!! I used chorizo instead of spicy sausage because I had some, otherwise did exactly as you said. The other reviewer must have put 1/4 cup of salt in it! hmmmm. Thanks for posting this recipe. Vi