Recipe by Chef Matteo Lopez
Tasty breakfast version of the classic hot dish. Great for breakfast or dinner!
Top Review by Rundarace
Excellent casserole! Great blend of flavors. I omitted the salt also, since the season salt was added, and did not add the hot sauce because some people don't like it and it could be added at serving. I also used green onions instead of chives, and sage sausage instead of spicy, because that is what I had on hand. Would be super colorful with some diced red bell pepper. Definitely will be making this again!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs frozen tater tots
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb spicy breakfast sausage
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄4 cup seasoned stuffing mix
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a glass baking dish (at least 8x10) by spreading butter along the bottom and sides.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, sour cream, chives, seasoned salt, hot sauce and salt and pepper and whisk until well blended.
- Add 2 cups cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella cheese and tots to mixture. Mix well until all tots are coated and all ingredients mixed.
- In small pan, cook sausage until just before done (sausage will finish in the oven), drain well and add to tot mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your pre-greased baking pan and top with the rest of the cheese and the bread crumbs. Spread topping evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown.