Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe back in the 70's from a co-worker. I have been making it ever since. Makes the perfect casual brunch entree for a crowd. Serve it with fresh fruit and your all set! I use a large aluminum foil baking pan. Make the night before or a minimum 4 hours ahead. Be sure to take out of the fridge an hour before baking.
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 16 slices hearty white bread, may use less depending on an size
- 8 extra large eggs
- 3 cups milk, any type
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups potato chips, crushed, set aside
- Assemble the night before.
- Grease pan with a light coat of nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- Trim the crusts off the bread slices. Butter on one side of bread.
- Place buttered slices of bread **butter side up on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with all the bacon and cheese.
- Top with layer of buttered bread slices, butter side up.
- Beat eggs, milk and mustard together.
- Pour over bread, gently press slices into the egg mixture to coat. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning:.
- One hour before baking, remove from fridge and bring to room temperature. (cuts down on the baking time).
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake COVERED for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes remove foil.
- Continue baking for approximately 10-15 minutes until center is done and top is lightly browned. *check fro doneness like you would a cake.
- Top with crumbled potato chips, bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing into squares.
- To halve the recipe, use an 8x8 pan and approx 6-8 slices of bread.
- 9x12 pan, use approx 12 slices.
- Large aluminum baking pan, use 18 slices.