Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great for holiday brunch! From Williams Sonoma.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb fresh spinach leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs French baguettes, crust removed, cut into 1-inch squares and toasted until dry (about 9 cups)
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 10 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- In large sauté pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoons oil. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelizes, about 15 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- In same pan over medium heat, warm 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Add half of spinach; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to colander. Repeat with 1/2 tablespoons of oil and remaining spinach. Press out excess moisture.
- In large bowl, toss together bread cubes, onion, spinach, ham and cheese. Transfer to buttered 4 quart baking dish.
- In bowl, beat together eggs, half-and-half, 1 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Pour over bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2-16 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap from strata; cover with lid or foil. Bake 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until top is browned and strata is cooked through, 40-50 minutes more.