Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Live at Five,Lee Murphy, Knox County Health Dept.
Make and share this Breakfast Strata recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 lb turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (3/4 cup)
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups whole wheat bread, crusts removed,cubed (about 4 slices)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated 2% cheddar cheese
- Coat an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, crumbling with wooden spoon, until lightly browned.
- Transfer to plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Add onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook, stirring often, until softened.
- Whisk eggs and whites, milk, salt, and pepper in large bowl until blended.
- Spread bread cubes in the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter the sausage and onion mixture evenly over the bread.
- Brush with mustard.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Pour in the egg mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake the strata, uncovered until puffed, lightly browned and set in the center, 55-65 minutes.