Recipe by Laura O.
This is the only breakfast casserole I make. It's worth the effort. You could probably throw some breakfast sausage in here instead of the ham and bacon. This one has to sit overnight in the refrigerator before baking in the morning.
Top Review by jcatblum
This could be the start to a good recipe, however it needs more flavor. I will add several kinds peppers, fresh garlic and maybe some mushrooms next time. I ate mine with salsa since the flavor was bland on its own.
- 1 lb sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 -10 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups cubed cooked potatoes
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (12 oz)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook bacon until done.
- Remove bacon from skillet, leaving drippings in the pan.
- Add ham and onion to skillet.
- Cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Drain grease from ham and onion.
- In a bowl, combine bacon, ham, and onion.
- In a greased 13x9x2 baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, potatoes, and cheese, in that order.
- Top with all of the bacon mixture.
- Repeat another layer of bread, potatoes, and cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper to the eggs.
- Pour over all in the baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 65-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.