Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is made up the night before and just popped into the oven for breakfast.
- 10 slices firm bakery-style bread, thin, crusts trimmed and slices halved
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped cooked ham (about 5 oz)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (peeled and seeded, about 1 medium tomato)
- 4 tablespoons diced roasted green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 5-6 oz)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread 1/3 of bread slices, edges almost touching, in 10 x 6 inch glass baking dish.
- Saute onion briefly in butter until it softens. Sprinkle half the onion over the bread in baking dish. Top with half of ham, half the diced tomato and chiles, half the oregano and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Spread another layer of bread in the baking dish, using about half the remaining bread slices, or enough to barely cover filling. Over this sprinkle the remaining onion, ham, tomato, chiles, oregano, and half the remaining cheese.
- Arrange remaining bread slices over top, edges touching.
- Beat together milk and eggs. Slowly pour over the bread. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning: Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake pudding, uncovered, for 45 minutes, until center is puffed and golden. Serve hot.