This is made up the night before and just popped into the oven for breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 slices firm bakery-style bread, thin, crusts trimmed and slices halved
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cooked ham (about 5 oz)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (peeled and seeded, about 1 medium tomato)
- 4 tablespoons diced roasted green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 5-6 oz)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1Spread 1/3 of bread slices, edges almost touching, in 10 x 6 inch glass baking dish.
- 2Saute onion briefly in butter until it softens. Sprinkle half the onion over the bread in baking dish. Top with half of ham, half the diced tomato and chiles, half the oregano and 1/3 of the cheese.
- 3Spread another layer of bread in the baking dish, using about half the remaining bread slices, or enough to barely cover filling. Over this sprinkle the remaining onion, ham, tomato, chiles, oregano, and half the remaining cheese.
- 4Arrange remaining bread slices over top, edges touching.
- 5Beat together milk and eggs. Slowly pour over the bread. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 6Next morning: Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 7Bake pudding, uncovered, for 45 minutes, until center is puffed and golden. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Strata
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 745.8
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.7 g
- Cholesterol 346.9 mg
- Sodium 970.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 43.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted green chilies