Recipe by Ck2plz
I pulled this out of Redbook Magazine's December 2005 Issue. Hopefully, I can make this soon.
- 8 ounces thick-sliced bacon, smoked, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch-wide strips
- 12 ounces large button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 3⁄4 thick slices of brioche, challah or 8 3⁄4 potato bread
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- With 1 tablespoon of the butter, generously grease a large, shallow 2 1/2 to 3-quart dish or casserole.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to drain on paper towel, leaving 2 tabspoons bacon drippings inskillet. Add mushrooms, onion, and sage; saute over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and mushrooms have released much of their liquid. Spread mixture over bottom of prepared dish; scatter spinach over top.
- Spread reamaining 3 tablespoons butter over one side of bread slices, and arrange, buttered side down up and overlapping, on top of spinach. Arrange 3 tomato slices on buttered side of bread slices.
- In large bowl with wire whisk, beat eggs, milk, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and pepper until well blended. Slowly pour egg mixture over bread slices; press bread down to absorb egg mixture, spooning egg mixture over any uncoated bread. Scatter Gruyere and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over top. Cover strata and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring strata to room temperature. Preheat over to 350. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes; loosely cover with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake 25 minutes or until golden on top and a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.