Recipe by NoSpringChicken
This is the soup I came up with when my son issued me a challenge! He and my husband, his Dad, play golf very early in the morning....even through the winter, unless there is snow on the ground. One morning, he asked if I could come up with a breakfast soup for their next excursion. It turned out so well, we've had it numerous times since.
Top Review by KatMcC
This is a great soup. I made it for brunch. I can't have flour so I used 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with a little water in place of flour and bacon drippings. I didn't have bacon so used real bacon bits. I love this soup! Thanks for posting.
- 3⁄4-1 lb bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 9 -10 cups water
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (depending upon the saltiness of the bouillon)
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant onion flakes
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- italian style breadstick (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally to keep pieces separate.
- Remove and drain bacon; keep warm.
- Discard all but 4 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Over medium heat, stir the flour into the drippings, blending well.
- Cook roux over medium heat for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add water, bouillon cubes (or substitute 9-10 cups ready made chicken bouillon) both kinds of pepper and salt (if using).
- Heat to boiling, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened and bouillon cubes are dissolved.
- Add freshly grated potatoes and instant onion; simmer for ten minutes.
- In bowl, mix eggs, nutmeg, parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Stir into simmering soup and continue stirring constantly for three minutes.
- Eggs will separate into "rags"--just like the classic Italian Straciatella Soup.
- Stir in the reserved bacon pieces and serve immediately with Italian style breadsticks, which are optional.