1/1 Photo of Breakfast Soup Aka Bacon and Egg Soup
This is the soup I came up with when my son issued me a challenge! He and my husband, his Dad, play golf very early in the morning....even through the winter, unless there is snow on the ground. One morning, he asked if I could come up with a breakfast soup for their next excursion. It turned out so well, we've had it numerous times since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4-1 lb bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 9 -10 cups water
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (depending upon the saltiness of the bouillon)
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon instant onion flakes
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- italian style breadstick (optional)
- 1In Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally to keep pieces separate.
- 2Remove and drain bacon; keep warm.
- 3Discard all but 4 tablespoons of the drippings.
- 4Over medium heat, stir the flour into the drippings, blending well.
- 5Cook roux over medium heat for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- 6Add water, bouillon cubes (or substitute 9-10 cups ready made chicken bouillon) both kinds of pepper and salt (if using).
- 7Heat to boiling, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened and bouillon cubes are dissolved.
- 8Add freshly grated potatoes and instant onion; simmer for ten minutes.
- 9In bowl, mix eggs, nutmeg, parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- 10Stir into simmering soup and continue stirring constantly for three minutes.
- 11Eggs will separate into "rags"--just like the classic Italian Straciatella Soup.
- 12Stir in the reserved bacon pieces and serve immediately with Italian style breadsticks, which are optional.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Soup Aka Bacon and Egg Soup
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.8
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 142.9 mg
- Sodium 1472.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 11.1 g