This is a great, easy recipe when you are looking for something a little different for breakfast--especially when you have guests. The variations are limited only by your imagination, and what's in the fridge. Try different cheese combinations, and different types of sausage.
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean sausage (Hot)
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups potatoes (diced)
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers (diced)
- 2 tablespoons sweet red peppers (diced)
- 4 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese (diced)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Brown and drain sausage. Set aside. You can use any sausage. Diced smoked sausage is a great substitute.
- Lightly brown potatoes in hot oil in a 10" skillet.
- Add onion and diced peppers, and cook till onions are translucent.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: In place of the potatoes, onions, and peppers, you can use Orida's O'Brian style potatoes. Prepare according to instructions.
- Lightly scramble eggs in a bowl with half and half, hot sauce and baking soda.
- Spread potato and sausage out evenly in skillet and pour eggs over. Tilt and rotate the pan to ensure even coverage of the eggs.
- Add diced pepper jack cheese. You can use any cheese you have on hand. I've made this with mozzarella, provolone, gouda, you name it.
- Salt and pepper mixture.
- Cover with grated cheddar cheese. Again, you can use what ever is on hand, but I have found the sharp cheddar is best here.
- Cook on the stove until bottom is set.
- Transfer to pre heated oven (350 degrees). Bake for 10 minutes.
- Switch to broil on medium until the cheese is just starting to brown and the eggs are set.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then slice and serve.
DIVINE! I used fingerling potatoes and they were sticking a bit to the pan when frying~ but no problem in the end.... the frittata came out of the skillet perfectly. AMAZING!!! I also used lowfat milk instead of the half and half and omitted the baking soda, only b/c we were out. We used Jimmy Dean Maple sausage and mozzarella cheese. YUMMMMMM! 10 stars!
Made this for breakfast on a Saturday morning. Used kielbasa and frozen shredded potatoes. Followed the recipe and had a wonderful breakfast that kept dh and myself satisfied until dinner.
this was really delicious, filling and tasty. i made it for dinner for me and dd#4, used fresh chorizo, and followed the recipe , good timing, it was good comfort food.