Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
This is a great, easy recipe when you are looking for something a little different for breakfast--especially when you have guests. The variations are limited only by your imagination, and what's in the fridge. Try different cheese combinations, and different types of sausage.
Top Review by hollyfrolly
DIVINE! I used fingerling potatoes and they were sticking a bit to the pan when frying~ but no problem in the end.... the frittata came out of the skillet perfectly. AMAZING!!! I also used lowfat milk instead of the half and half and omitted the baking soda, only b/c we were out. We used Jimmy Dean Maple sausage and mozzarella cheese. YUMMMMMM! 10 stars!
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean sausage (Hot)
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups potatoes (diced)
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers (diced)
- 2 tablespoons sweet red peppers (diced)
- 4 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese (diced)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown and drain sausage. Set aside. You can use any sausage. Diced smoked sausage is a great substitute.
- Lightly brown potatoes in hot oil in a 10" skillet.
- Add onion and diced peppers, and cook till onions are translucent.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: In place of the potatoes, onions, and peppers, you can use Orida's O'Brian style potatoes. Prepare according to instructions.
- Lightly scramble eggs in a bowl with half and half, hot sauce and baking soda.
- Spread potato and sausage out evenly in skillet and pour eggs over. Tilt and rotate the pan to ensure even coverage of the eggs.
- Add diced pepper jack cheese. You can use any cheese you have on hand. I've made this with mozzarella, provolone, gouda, you name it.
- Salt and pepper mixture.
- Cover with grated cheddar cheese. Again, you can use what ever is on hand, but I have found the sharp cheddar is best here.
- Cook on the stove until bottom is set.
- Transfer to pre heated oven (350 degrees). Bake for 10 minutes.
- Switch to broil on medium until the cheese is just starting to brown and the eggs are set.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then slice and serve.