Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is Great to have on hand when having alot of company. You can cook it ahead and freeze it
- 2 loaves frozen bread, thawed or dough made in bread machine
- 1 lb pork sausage, hot or mild or half of each
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced mushrooms (fresh or canned)
- 2 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Allow dough to rise and double in size.
- Cook sausage, add mushrooms and onions.
- Cook until tender.
- Drain and cool.
- Beat 2 eggs, set aside.
- To sausage, add cheese and seasonings and the 2 eggs.
- Mix well.
- Roll each loaf of dough to about 16x12.
- Spread 1/2 of the mixture with in 1 inch of edge.
- Roll jelly roll style and seal ends.
- Put on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 25 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg.
- Brush over the bread.
- Bake 5-10 minutes more, until brown.
This is incredible! I made it this afternoon to go with homemade vegetable soup and it was a hit!!!! I will freeze the second loaf and take it camping with us this weekend. I was worried about the eggs going in wet but all they do is bind everything together. I will make this again and again and again . . .