Recipe by LexingtonMom
A crispy outside with warm and chewy bread, sausage, and italian cheeses inside. We often have for Christmas breakfast--just prepare the loaf the night before, then put in the oven to bake while the family opens gifts.
Top Review by wvnancie
I've used this recipe for both a bridge club brunch and for my bible study group. It is wonderful.and so easy to prepare. It also looks very appetizing. I served it for a shower brunch and it disappeared from the table befoer anything else -- it's always the first thing to go. A favorite of mine.
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean sausage
- 1 dash garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw dough at room temperature until about double in size.
- Brown sausage with onions, oregano, and a dash of garlic powder. Drain.
- Separate one of the eggs, setting aside the white for later.
- Place the other egg and the egg yolk from above in large bowl with cheeses. Add sausage mixture and toss all together.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and flatten out dough to cover.
- Spread meat mixture over dough.
- Roll dough up in jelly-roll style (i.e., from long end to long end) with mixture inside. Pinch seam together to seal.
- Place seam-side down on cookie sheet. Brush top with reserved egg white.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- After baking allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into slices about 1-inch thick.