Recipe by ajt575s
I normally hate spinach and absolutely loved this recipe! It's great for a brunch or a special breakfast. Just make it up the night before, stick in the fridge, and you can just pop it in the oven the next morning. It's easy to adjust to recipe and make substitutions if you want to, as well. Note that the prep time includes time that it chills in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces turkey sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 ounces Baby Spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 8 cups cubed Italian bread, from a 1-pound loaf
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 10 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and saute, until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausages to a plate. Add the onion to the pan drippings in the same skillet and saute, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and garlic. Saute, over medium-low heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, nutmeg, and the cooked sausages.
- Place half of the bread cubes in a buttered 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bread, then top with half of the spinach mixtures. Repeat layering.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a large bowl and pour evenly over the strata. Chill the strata, covered with plastic wrap, at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake strata uncovered until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.