2 hrs 25 mins
I normally hate spinach and absolutely loved this recipe! It's great for a brunch or a special breakfast. Just make it up the night before, stick in the fridge, and you can just pop it in the oven the next morning. It's easy to adjust to recipe and make substitutions if you want to, as well. Note that the prep time includes time that it chills in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces turkey sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 ounces Baby Spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 8 cups cubed Italian bread, from a 1-pound loaf
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 10 large eggs
- 1Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and saute, until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausages to a plate. Add the onion to the pan drippings in the same skillet and saute, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and garlic. Saute, over medium-low heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, nutmeg, and the cooked sausages.
- 2Place half of the bread cubes in a buttered 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bread, then top with half of the spinach mixtures. Repeat layering.
- 3Whisk the milk, eggs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a large bowl and pour evenly over the strata. Chill the strata, covered with plastic wrap, at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- 4Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 5Bake strata uncovered until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Sausage and Spinach Strata (Emeril Green Recipe)
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.0
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 329.1 mg
- Sodium 801.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 26.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: