Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Make a healthier version of country breakfast sausage. The rubbed sage and savory are what give this sausage its wonderful breakfast flavor.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄3 teaspoon summer savory
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2⁄3 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (to moisten)
- In a mixing bowl add all ingredients EXCEPT pork and mix well.
- Place pork in a large mixing bowl and add spice mixture.
- Blend by hand for about 3-5 minutes or until thoroughly blended.
- Stuff it in casings or simply make patties and fry it or grill it.
- If you start with lean ground pork you will have lean sausage.
- If your market does not have ground pork, ask your butcher to grind some for you, or do what I did, buy your own grinder.
- Freezes well so increase the recipe.
This is deee-licious! I used low-fat ground beef, mixed it with the spices and refrigerated it for several hours. Then took it out and cooked it on too high of a flame. Turned out kinda tough; should have remembered "low and slow". But this is still my favorite sausage. We are using this for pizza, so crumbled it more, but would be great for breakfast, too. Thanks for sharing this recipe.