Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was in the December issue of Bon Appetit. Since I can hardly gag down oatmeal and am always looking for ways to eat more grain, I gave it a try this a.m. and I like it. Hope you do too. I used brown rice instead of the abrorio or medium grain white rice called for in the recipe. It also called for more butter, which I didn't add. I used sweet sausage, but think hot would be just as good.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth, warmed
- salt & pepper
- 1 pinch saffron
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- chopped Italian parsley
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add sausages and break up with fork.
- Add onion & saute until translucent.
- Stir in rice.
- Add wine and boil until liquid evaporates. Add 3 cups chicken broth, saffron, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer util rice is tender. Add more broth, if necessary.
- Serve with parmesan and parsley.