1/2 Photos of Breakfast Reubens
We love reuben sandwiches (you can see how we make them from the recipe I posted for "Reubens Our Way"), but you know – you can make them for breakfast, too! Based on a recipe, tweaked to our own liking, from Taste of Home. Although I titled this for breakfast, it's good any time of day. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 large frozen hash browns (the oval or rectangular shaped ones)
- 3/4 cup naturally fermented sauerkraut, drained (we like Bubbie's brand) or 3/4 cup rinsed and drained regular sauerkraut
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 6 slices of good quality pastrami (thin slices)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite thousand island dressing (we make our own, see Thousand Island Dressing Our Way #114916)
- 1/2 cup finely-shredded swiss cheese
- 1Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat, and add the 1 teaspoon oil.
- 2Lightly brown the frozen hashbrowns, about 4 minutes per side; carefully remove from skillet (you don't want them to lose their shape) and set aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 400 degrees F; butter an 11x7x2-inch baking pan.
- 4In a bowl, combine the sauerkraut and applesauce; set aside.
- 5Place the hash brown patties in the greased baking pan and spread softened butter on each.
- 6Layer each patty with: 3 slices pastrami, sauerkraut mixture, Thousand Island dressing, and Swiss cheese.
- 7Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until the patties are crisped to your liking.
- 8Note: you can skip the hashbrown pre-browning steps (in the skillet), if you like, but I like my hashbrowns very crispy and so prefer them pre-browned.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Reubens
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.3
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 97.8 mg
- Sodium 1528.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 26.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen hash browns