Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not just for breakfast -- one of the many uses for leftover pork is to create a simple, fast and delicious hash with potatoes. Mmm... total comfort food! Add some perfectly cooked smoked bacon and I'm in hog heaven...so to speak.
- 1 cup leftover cooked pork (shredded or diced. I used a shredded crockpot roast)
- 2 large potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 large onion, cut into 1-inch squares (Use any kind you like, we love red)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and onions, then season and stir to coat. Spread into in as much of a single layer as possible and let cook for 5-8 minutes periodically stirring to brown all sides.
- Add 1/2 cup water, cover and let cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove lid, add pork and finish on high until heated throughout and potatoes reach desired color and crispy exterior.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast): 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika 2 tablespoons salt 2 tablespoons garlic powder 1 tablespoon black pepper 1 tablespoon onion powder 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon dried thyme Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 2/3 cup
Super yummy! I usually make roast beef hash but this was a nice twist. I used shredded hash browns and it was so easy. I think the Essence really added a nice kick and I like mine crispy so I pushed it down in the pan and flipped it only once.
On 4/1/13 This recipe was made for our dinner using some leftover Pork Loin that was leftover from Easter. I didn't have any Essence (never bought any before),so a search was done and I came across Emeril's Essence by simmees and decided to use it. Except for using sweet onion and regular salt,the recipe was made as it was written. I've eaten several types of hashes,but I really believe that the Essence made the difference in this one. This recipe will be made again. Thank you for taking the time to post and, " Keep Smiling :) "