Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not just for breakfast -- one of the many uses for leftover pork is to create a simple, fast and delicious hash with potatoes. Mmm... total comfort food! Add some perfectly cooked smoked bacon and I'm in hog heaven...so to speak.
- 1 cup leftover cooked pork (shredded or diced. I used a shredded crockpot roast)
- 2 large potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 large onion, cut into 1-inch squares (Use any kind you like, we love red)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and onions, then season and stir to coat. Spread into in as much of a single layer as possible and let cook for 5-8 minutes periodically stirring to brown all sides.
- Add 1/2 cup water, cover and let cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove lid, add pork and finish on high until heated throughout and potatoes reach desired color and crispy exterior.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast): 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika 2 tablespoons salt 2 tablespoons garlic powder 1 tablespoon black pepper 1 tablespoon onion powder 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon dried thyme Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 2/3 cup
Super yummy! I usually make roast beef hash but this was a nice twist. I used shredded hash browns and it was so easy. I think the Essence really added a nice kick and I like mine crispy so I pushed it down in the pan and flipped it only once.
On 4/1/13 This recipe was made for our dinner using some leftover Pork Loin that was leftover from Easter. I didn't have any Essence (never bought any before),so a search was done and I came across Recipe #5031 by simmees and decided to use it. Except for using sweet onion and regular salt,the recipe was made as it was written. I've eaten several types of hashes,but I really believe that the Essence made the difference in this one. This recipe will be made again. Thank you for taking the time to post and, " Keep Smiling :) "