Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love breakfast casseroles, but this is one of my favorites. Add some steamed asparagus and maybe a garlic grits casserole and you have a wonderful breakfast for company.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 large eggs
- 4 ounces bacon or 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- ground black pepper
- Melt butter and saute onion until soft.
- Preheat oven to 425 deg.
- Unfold pastry and press into 11x17 jelly roll pan.
- Distribute onions and prosiutto/bacon over pastry.
- Carefully crack eggs on top of onions and meat, sprinkle with parmesean and pepper.
- Bake on lower shelf of oven 20-25 min or until pastry is puffed and eggs are set.
- Remove from oven, sprinkley with parsley and allow to cool for 5 min before serving.
- (Can also add grated cheddar or swiss on top before putting into oven.).
This was a big hit! We actually had this for supper, not for breakfast, and it went great with some Israeli salad on the side. For religious reasons I left out the bacon, and I made two batches, one without the bacon and one substituting smoked tofu. The kids preferred it tofu-free, but the adults loved the smokey taste added by the tofu. My only other changes were to use a large onion instead of a small one, and the add two cloves of garlic, minced finely. I can see me making this a million different ways, adding brocolli or cauliflower next time!