Recipe by Geniale Genie
A complete grab & go breakfast or snack. You've got ingredients from all 4 food groups and the recipe is easily customized to your family's preferences. I like to reduce the flour and add wheat germ, ground flax seeds, I often add poppy seeds, the combinations are endless. I usually replace chocolate chips with nuts. Other times, I use dried cranberries & dark chocolate chips. I suppose you could also replace the cream cheese with peanut butter, yoghurt, or jam. You could also add cocoa. You'll probably choose to adjust the ingredients according to the type of cereal you are using (some already have dried fruit and/or nuts)I find they taste best the next day.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 2⁄3 cups granola-type cereal or 1 2⁄3 cups grain cereal
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- cream cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat margarine, butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla into a cream.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add to cream alternating with milk.
- Ad cereal, raisins, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- Spread out evenly on aluminium-covered jelly roll pan (or a cookie sheet with sides).
- Bake at 350F 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Turn over pan, remove foil, and cut into bars.
- Spread cream cheese on the bottom of one bar and sandwich with another.
- Wrap individually and store in the refrigerator.