Recipe by White Rose Child
This was originally on Vegweb but I have changed it so much mine is practically a separate recipe! It's a warming, hearty bowlful of healthy but delicious ingredients. Plus it's simple and quick to make once you've done it a couple times. Personally I like walnuts, pumpkin seeds and raisins on mine.
Top Review by Chef1MOM-Connie
Tagged for Recipe Swap 14 March 2008 WOW! Loved this. I love oatmeal and this just added some real pnch to it. I used the wheat germ, frozen strawberries, and banana. The flavor was great! I did add a pat of butter to the top as I do that for plain oatmeal. Not sure why just do. I will make this for myself regularly. DH not into oatmeal. Thank you.
- 1⁄3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 ripe banana, frozen
- 3 tablespoons natural bran or 3 tablespoons wheat germ or 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup frozen blueberries (optional) or 1⁄3 cup other frozen berries (optional)
Options for topping
- flax seeds or wheat germ
Directions See How It's Made
- It is optional to soak the oats overnight in the water. I do soak them because it is easier for the body to access nutrients from soaked grain.
- Either way, in the morning, slice the banana (it might be helpful to let it thaw 10 minute if it's too frozen to slice easily- or use a paring knife). Transfer the banana slices to your smallest saucepan.
- If you soaked the oats, drain the water into the saucepan; if you didn't soak, just pour in the 1 cup water. Add the banana slices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot for about 2-3 minutes, or until the banana is "bubbly" and very juicy-looking. At this point you can add the blueberries to simmer for 1-3 minute.
- In a cereal bowl, mix together the oats and bran, wheat germ or flax seeds. Sprinkle in whatever topping options you prefer.
- Now dump the boiled banana/berry stuff on top of the oat mixture. If there is still a lot of liquid on them, use a slotted spoon to scoop the banana/berries into the oats. Just add enough of the liquid to moisten the oats- adjust the consistency to your taste. Mix it all together well. Sprinkle it with wheat germ or flaxseeds if you like, and enjoy.